Holiday Home Safety Tips

Olivia Back

For many, the holidays are a great time of year. Endless celebrations, family time, and great food. However, because the holidays are so hectic, people often forget the hazards that come along with them. We’re here to give you some helpful tips to avoid any potential problems that may come up in your home this holiday season.

  1. Don’t overload electrical outlets. It can be tempting to plug in 5 different types of Christmas lights along with your tv, but this is an accident waiting to happen. Overloaded electrical outlets are a common cause of fires. Be on the safe side and spread your lights out or use power strips (sparingly).pexels-photo-1426702
  2. Double-check your outlets. Speaking of those electrical outlets, be sure that they are secured to the wall and the wiring isn’t frayed or loose.
  3. Keep your trees watered and fresh. Dry trees are more susceptible to catching fire. They are also more likely to fall over and get pine needles everywhere. Replenish the water for the tree daily to avoid these issues.
  4. Blow out candles when you leave the house. As nice as it is to have the house smelling like a fresh-cut tree or a cinnamon apple, you don’t want the flame to catch anything. Blow the candles out when you leave the house, and preferably when you leave a room. It’s easy to forget about them and let them burn all night. You can also use battery-operated candles for a safer option.
  5. Don’t leave the kitchen while you’re cooking. This may seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised at how many cooking fires can happen when a hot stove or oven is left unattended.
  6. Don’t forget to turn your oven off. With all the commotion of family and friends celebrating, you may forget to hit the off button when you take the ham out of the oven. Double-check this once the food is out to prevent any overheating and/or fires. food-pot-kitchen-cooking
  7. Move cords away from flammable items. Make sure cords are not shoved under rugs, pillows, or blankets. Try to keep them out of walkways as well to avoid tripping.
  8. Make sure your lights are outdoor-certified. Not all lights are able to be used outside. Check the label for clarification on this and on whether or not they can get wet.
  9. Keep flammable objects away from the fireplace. Many people tend to decorate their fireplace with wreaths and other holiday decor. Be sure to move these when lighting the fire. Additionally, don’t toss wrapping paper in the fireplace. It may seem like an easy way to get rid of the piles of used wrapping paper, but this can cause a flash fires and easily burn someone.
  10. Keep poinsettias away from pets. These beautiful flowers are toxic to animals and can cause vomiting and skin irritation. Keep them out of reach from dogs, cats, and small children.

We hope your enjoy the holiday season and have a wonderful new year!

Subscribe to the Blog!

 

Most Popular Posts

Subscribe Here!